Simply put, candida is a dirty word. Candida is actually the scientific name for the fungus yeast, which can live everywhere – including in your body. Candida is most commonly found in the gut and mouth, and the natural flora – the good bacteria – in our bodies are good at keeping it in check.
However, when there is too much candida albicans – the most common type of this yeast – in the body, the overgrowth can cause infections known as candidiasis, which causes yeast infections in women (and less commonly, men) and thrush in the throat. Candidiasis can also cause itching and rashes on the skin. Invasive candidiasis is a very serious but less common infection that occurs when candida yeast enters the bloodstream and the fungus spreads to other parts of the body.
What causes candidiasis?
It can be caused by various things, including:
- Taking antibiotics
- Prolonged stress
- A diet high in sugar and refined carbs, which actually feed the candida
- Overuse of alcohol
What are some potential symptoms?
- Digestive issues like constipation, bloating and diarrhea
- Skin issues like eczema, hives, rashes and psoriasis
- Vaginal infections and itching, urinary tract infections
- Brain fog and difficulty concentrating
- Feeling worn down and having constant fatigue for unknown reasons
- Itchy ears and severe seasonal allergies
- Cravings for sugar and refined carbs
What can you do?
As candidiasis is caused by an imbalance in the digestive flora for various reasons, it’s important to regain balance in the digestive tract by reducing the amount of candida there. One product to try is Naturade’s Symbiotics Colostrum Plus Candida Formula, which promotes growth of healthy bacteria and helps the body maintain normal levels of candida albicans through the use of colostrum, lactoferrin and the probiotics lactobacillus and bifidobacteria. Colostrum is full of immune factors to support your overall health, and the probiotics support improved digestioni. Lactoferrin takes the iron from candida, which is vital to its growth.