Dr. Greene and Ashley Koff, RD paired up on Twitter last night to discuss how we can keep our children healthy and happy in the year. Beginning with having a healthy holiday to how important happiness is for immune health. Check out the Q & A:
Dr. Grenne: We’re thinking a lot about viral illnesses this time of year. What do you do to support kids’ immunity?
- Best ‘boost’ foods are nutrient-dense w/o chemistry lab projects so choose organic/dye free.
- Viruses can still benefit from good bacteria so I like organic, cultured foods &/or a quality probiotic.
- Sugar suppresses immune system so don’t OD on it – especially hidden added sugars in breads, sauces etc.
- Your freezer can be the best offense against a virus with organic fruits, vegs, whole grains, wild salmon etc
- Easy immune tip /game: check in on eating a rainbow each day: did you have blue,orange,green (from nature not chem lab!)
Dr. Greene: How do you get kids to eat “immune helping” foods?
Ashley Koff: Make food visually appealing – why not “play” with food – colors, shapes etc. Love “noodling” greens & spaghetti squash 4 ex.
Dr. Greene: Does organic matter when it comes to immune health?
Ashley Koff: There are foods that aid body’s natural detoxification efforts like organic lemons, limes, greens, mushrooms, purple&orange veggies.
Dr. Greene: Sugar is another huge issue. Are there any sweets you feel good about kids having?
Ashley Koff: Nature gives us lots of sweets, skip the one’s made in a chemistry lab!
Dr. Greene: If you could recommend 1 organic fruit/veggie to boost immunity for kids, what would it be?
Ashley Koff: Oh no u don’t! We never pick 1 favorite,nature blessed us with too many too choose! Mono-eating is NON-immune healthy
Dr. Greene: Do you recommend supplements for immune health?
Ashley Koff: No supplement 4 immune override poor diet/no sleep;I rec Symbiotics &probiotic+quality kid multi
Dr. Greene: Kids tend to get sick when they travel. Your ideas for keeping them healthy?
Ashley Koff: Travel w ur own utensils, as so many fingers often touch the plastic stuff. Also, bring a great scarf &play dress up wrap around neck and face especially when flying (you too parents!)
Dr. Greene: Avoid? Abdominal fat 🙂
Ashley Koff: Processed fats r no good 4 any of us,but processing fats from foods a mistake too;eat food as found in nature.